Prison Island Tour
It’s a half a day trip to Prison Island. We will take a boat from the shores of Stone Town, setting down anchor 5 km away, on the beautiful beach of Prison Island. The prison – which is now owned by a hotel – was built in 1893 and was originally intended to house violent prisoners from the mainland and sick people. You will get the opportunity to visit the tortoise sanctuary, which contains a large colony of giant tortoise imported from the Seychelles in the late 19th century.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Experienced Professional Tour guide
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel
- Bottled water during tour
- All Entrances Fees
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- Transport waiting charge
- Snorkeling gear (life jacket, mask & flippers)
- Boat charter
What's excluded :
- Medical Insurance if needed
- Local & International Flights
- Airport Taxes
- Expenses of a personal Nature
- Prison Island also known as Changuu Island lies about 25 - 30 minutes by wooden motorized boat from Zanzibar Stone Town and this is where you will visit the Prison Ruins built by General Lloyd Mathews in 1893 and hence the name Prison Island. The Tour includes the visit to the Sanctuary of Aldabra's giant tortoises brought by British Governor of Seychelles in 1919 as a gift to Sultan of Zanzibar. During the visit, you will be able to observe, feed the tortoises as well as taking pictures with them. The Tour will also provide you with the chance to swim in the clear crystal water, sunbathe and snorkel at the nearest coral reef before you find your way back to Stone Town.
Departure Point :
Hotel pickups commence approximately 7 - 75 minutes prior to this time and the location of the hotel, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation. Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
PortsFerry Tickets, Mizingani Rd, Zanzibar, Tanzania
AirportsZansibar Airport, Zanzibar Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania
OtherZanzibar Ferry Terminal, Malindi Rd, Zanzibar, Tanzania
Departure Time :4:30 PM
Return Detail :Zanzibar, Tanzania - Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.