Private Day Trip to Wadi El Natrun and some Monasteries from Cairo
Nitrian Desert is sometimes used to mean the entire region where the monasteries are located. It can also more specifically refer to the immediate area around Nitria and Kellia, with the region around Wadi El Natrun then more specifically called the
Scetis Desert. (In modern Greek usage, regarding monasticism the word Scetis .
Wadi el Natrun, where the ancient Egyptians extracted natron salt that was used for mummification.
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local taxes
- Bottled water
- Qualified Egyptologist guide
- Hotel/port pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
What's excluded :
- Wadi el Natrun is an area located about 56 miles (90km) northwest of Cairo at a level of only 75.5 ft (23m) below sea level. In ancient Egypt the area was used for getting natron salt, which was used for dehydrating mummies in the process of mummification. Now it is a very important center for monastic life of the Coptic Orthodox Church. It has some of the earliest Christian monasteries of the world. Some of them date back to the fourth century. Visiting them is rare chance to watch the beautiful icons, paintings and the monastic life.
You will be picked up early in the morning at 7am from your hotel by your private tour guide for the ca. 90 min drive. First, have a look at the Monastery of the Romans (Deir Al Baramus), then Anba Beshoy (St. Boshoi's) Monastery, next the Monastery of the Syrians (Deir al-Surian), and lastly the Monastery of St. Macarius (Deir Abu Magar, Abu Maker). Lunch in the monasteries is included. You will be transferred back to your hotel after the tour finishes.
Departure Point :Hotel / Port
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Hotel / Port
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Dress code is smart casual
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.