Private Great Ocean Road Tour from Melbourne
Take a private small group tour along the Great Ocean Road with a professional local eco guide and in the comfort of a spacious Mercedes Benz high roof minibus. Join one of Australia's most experienced nature guides and avoid the crowded tour buses on Australia's famous coastal drive. We want you to get the best out of your experience so come with us for a truly enjoyable day!
per adult from
438 to 115,800 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What's excluded :
- • Melbourne Hotel Pick up and return
• Comfortable and spacious Mercedes high roof minibus
• Highly experienced professional field guide with extensive knowledge of the natural environment
• Morning tea/coffee
• Personalised service
• We aim to get you away from crowded sites and into pure natureOur tour starts at 7.30 am with your hotel pick up. We look to shed the city boundaries as soon as we can as we head west along the Princes Hwy towards the western district of Victoria. We pick up the Great Ocean Road at the seaside town of Anglesea and start to make our way along this spectacular drive to the Split Point lighthouse where we stop for morning tea .and a leg stretch
Once refreshed we get back on the road heading for Apollo Bay. This is the most spectacular section of the drive and there are many places along the way where we can pull up for photos or a short stroll to the water. We visit Lorne,as we continue on along the drive stopping at Kennett Rivert to try spotting a koala or two.
Arriving in the beautiful coastal town of Apollo Bay around noon we stop for lunch. Here you have the option of many restaurants and cafes to choose from at your own expense.After lunch we make our way up through the steep and precipitous Otway Ranges where we drive through lush forests of blue gum and black wattle. We stop for a short walk at Mait's rest where a loop track takes you on a short journey through giant mountain ash trees and ancient tree ferns. We continue on over the ranges and back down onto the shipwreck coast heading for the twelve Apostles.
It is difficult to put into words the feeling you get as you wind your way behind the coastal dunes to be suddenly confronted with these giant sentinels lined up as far as the eye can see along the limestone cliff face. The Twelve Apostles require no introduction really as they are known throughout the world. Here you have plenty of time to walk along the gentle tracks and boardwalks of the cliff edge to savour the ocean breeze and take in the views.
A short distance from here is Loch Ard Gorge where again we can walk around the cliff tops or down onto the beach. This place has a raw beauty which is almost overshadowed by the amazing tale of the wreck of the sailing vessel Loch Ard in 1878. The story of her disaster and the terrible fate of most of her crew and passengers reverberated around the world at the time and is one of tragedy, courage and survival against all odds.
After enjoying some afternoon tea we make the journey back to Melbourne heading inland again through rich dairy farmland to rejoin the Princes Hwy where we begin to see expansive grazing properties of the western district. We aim to have you back at your hotel around 7.30 pm.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure time is 7.00 am. Please be waiting at the front entrance of your hotel a few minutes prior to departure . We pick up from most hotels in the Melbourne CBD area except for those which do not have a designated vehicle stopping zone. In the event that your hotel is a place we are unable to collect you from we will provide instructions for you to make your way to the nearest possible pick up location which is normally less than a couple of minutes walk.
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
Organised by Great Southern Escapes