Private Market Tour & Colombian Cooking Lesson with a Local in her Medellín Home
You host Catalina will take you to the Plaza de la America, a food market stocked with fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, and other groceries. Catalina will give you a private tour and you may buy fresh ingredients like tree tomato (pitaya) to use in your cooking class later.
After your trip to the market, you will drive back to Catalina's apartment for your hands-on cooking experience. Her kitchen is small but functional, and has a bar and open window area perfect for demonstrations. The cooking portion will last for about two hours, and you will learn to make an appetizer, a main dish and a dessert! A few traditional dishes that Catalina may teach you to make are patacones (fried and smashed plantains), bandeja paisa (traditional dish from Antioquia, contains ingredients like, beans, rice, meat, salsa and bacon) and coconut flan.
Join in on this authentic experience with a local and get a taste of true Colombian culture and cuisine!
per adult from
What's included :
- Private market tour and cooking class with your host Catalina
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- You will be welcomed by Catalina with fresh guandiolo (fruit juice sweetened with cane juice) at her balcony to enjoy the view of the mountains. Catalina lives on the 5th floor of a modern apartment in the city of Medellin, only a few metro stops from the city center. The neighborhood is a mix of old homes and newer apartment buildings.
Catalina’s family heritage is from three different areas of Colombia and includes coastal and Andean food. She mixes her graphic design background with her passion for food and creates an experience combined with the history of the people involved. She also loves to serve food you can experience by picking it up with your hands, so you can truly engage with what you are eating.
Please note: You need to climb five flight of stairs to reach Catalina's apartment. Catalina can offer Vegetarian and Vegan meals upon request!
Departure Point :Medellin, Antioquia, Colombia
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Menu may vary depending on the season
- If any travelers in your party have any allergies, dietary restrictions or cooking preferences please advise at time of booking
- Vegetarian and vegan option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Private, personalized experience
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.