Private Market Tour and Tanzanian Cooking Class in Moshi
Visit a small market with your host to discover locally grown produce. Learn about the ingredients used in Tanzanian cuisine before taking a tuk tuk 20 min to your host's home. Marissa, her husband William and his mother Shida are a warm and welcoming family who host you in their simple, modest mud house for a cultural and culinary experience.
You will help Shida grate coconuts to make fresh coconut milk and prepare ugali, a traditional corn meal dish. Enjoy your meal sitting on benches outdoors with the entire family. Ugali is eaten communal style, with each person picking cake with their hand, rolling it into a ball, and using it to scoop vegetables or stew. A few other dishes you may try are uji (a millet and peanut porridge), beef and green banana stew) and rice with spiced beans. Dishes are cooked in coconut milk and simmered over a wood fire, giving it a distinct and delicious flavor! End your experience by sharing peanut brittle and Shida’s local brew with friends and family.
per adult from
5 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private market visit and cooking class with your host Marissa
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Private transportation
- Vegetarian and halal meals are available upon request
- Transfers are included for city hotels (for airport/airport hotel transfers, there is an extra cost)
What's excluded :
- This is a unique opportunity to visit the home of a local and explore traditional culture and cuisine. Shida, Marissa and William will take you to a small market, where you will be introduced to locally grown fruits, vegetables and herbs. Learn more about the ingredients on sale and how it is used in the traditional cooking process, while you walk around the market area with your hosts. Stop at some of their favourite vendor shops to buy ingredients for your cooking class. Then walk back or take a tuk tuk from the market to Shida's home, which is about 20 minutes away. In your one hour hands-on cooking class, help Shida to prepare fresh coconut milk using a traditional tool called 'buzi', it is a small wooden seat with a sharp grinder at the end that is used to shave the coconut meat. The coconut milk is used to prepare the vegetables and stew dishes. Then learn to make ugali, a traditional corn meal dish that is served with sauteed vegetables. Shida loves cooking this for her family. Making Ugali is an art, and is simple but labor intensive, a real treat to learn!
• Kilimanjaro Coffee Lounge, Station Rd, Tanzania
• Uji with tamarind and black pepper - or Fried bananas and cassava with pili pili (hot) sauce
• Ugali with beef stew or vegetable soup or Mtori (banana stew)
• Fresh fruit
• Kahawa and Kashata (coffee and peanut brittle)
• Local brew - (made from fermented bananas and grains...if you're a Kombucha fan, you'll love it!)
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Your host will pick you up and drop you off at your Moshi hotel listed in your booking in a tuk tuk.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.