Private Oyster Tour and Tasting with Locals by Flaggy Shore
Meet your host Gerry and/or his daughter Ciara at New Quay Pier and experience a genuine and entertaining introduction to the world of oysters. Learn how oysters are stored in their seawater tanks with continuous fresh seawater pumped from the ocean just outside their windows. Tour their facilities and hear about the history of their family business. Pick your own oysters and learn how to shuck them from a professional, before you enjoy them with your choice of condiments such as lemon, horseradish or Tabasco sauce.
After your tour, feel free to take a few oysters and enjoy them as you walk along the wonderful, scenic Flaggy shore walkway located beside the facility.
Please note: Gerry is flexible with timing so if you prefer another time, let him know when you make your booking. In the summer when the sun sets later, you are welcome to start your tour at 5pm and enjoy the sunset on Flaggy Shore after!
per adult from
What's included :
- Private oyster tour and tasting with your host Gerry
- Local wine (1-2 glasses)
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Alcoholic Beverages
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Redbank Food Company, Newquay, Burren, Co. Clare, Ireland
Gerry together with his daughter Ciara run their family owned seafood and oyster trading company. A marine biologist by training, Gerry has worked in the seafood industry for many decades and is passionate about showing travelers how to grow and recognize high quality oysters, their primary seafood product. Gerry and his family are from New Quay, a rural village located on the south shore of Galway Bay in Ireland. It is located at the foothills of the Burren, a world renowned Geopark site with truly unique flora and fauna. This area is known for its clean grade A waters that have produced distinctive and delicious oysters and shellfish for centuries. The pristine water with nutrients fed by underground streams to the sea from the Burren provides nutrients that make these Flaggy shore oysters truly special.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Redbank Food Company, Newquay, Burren, Co. Clare, Ireland
Departure Time :2:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Private, personalized experience
- Flexible with timing so if you prefer another time, let Gerry know when you make your booking
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.