Private Vienna Woods Wine Tour
Lower Austria is the cradle of Austrian viticulture, so we want to take you to the beautiful forests & vineyards of the Thermal Region, just south of Vienna. Home to traditionally quaint wine villages and some unique local varietals, we showcase the finest in farm-to-table Austrian wine tours. We offer two different tours, depending on the season:
In summer (Apr-Oct), we hike through forested trails and lush green vineyards, stopping en route for an open-air wine tasting and to appreciate beautifully expansive views over the Vienna basin to Hungary & Slovakia. We then continue to one of Austria's oldest wine villages for lunch & a winery visit.
In winter (Nov-Mar), instead of hiking, we focus our attention on the past, present and future of Austrian wine by first visiting one of its oldest wine-making institutions dating back to 1141. We then meet one of the region's finest vintners for a wonderfully intimate wine tasting and Q&A to showcase all that the Thermal Region has to offer.
per adult from
6 to 8 hours
What's included :
- Alcoholic Beverages - Wine tastings in vineyard and/or winery settings
- Live tour commentary provided in English by native speaker
- 12km guided forest & vineyard hike with trained first aider (summer)
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: BahnhofCity Wien Hauptbahnhof, Vienna Austria
The tour meeting point is Vienna's main railway station (09:10 Apr-Oct & 09:40 Nov-Mar). Once we've met and introduced ourselves, we'll board a train southwards (approx 30 minutes) to the heart of the Vienna Woods.
Stop At: Vienna Woods, Vienna Austria
We begin our hike in the lovely spa town of Baden, once a favourite country retreat of Beethoven. We meander through the classic 'Biedermeier' village centre and its gorgeous parks before hiking along forest trails towards a magnificent elevated viewpoint which overlooks the Vienna basin & the Wienerwald in all directions. This spot alone is a photographer's dream! We then enter the vineyards, wandering through row upon row of lush green vines. As reward for our efforts, we'll take a break sat among the vines for an open-air wine tasting.
Our train brings us directly to the vineyards of the Thermal Region and to one of Austria’s oldest wine making institutions, steeped in middle-age tradition and history. We'll discover how the monastic orders became wine pioneers of their time, develop an understanding of what has shaped the Austrian wine landscape over time, and consider in what direction it may be moving forward...with a welcome glass of sekt in your hand, of course!
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Gumpoldskirchen, Gumpoldskirchen, Lower Austria
Summer & Winter
We then continue to the picturesque wine village of Gumpoldskirchen. On the summer itinerary we'll have lunch at one of its traditional Austrian wine taverns before our second wine tasting, while on the winter itinerary we do the wine tasting before lunch.
The tasting is led by one of the region's finest winemakers. This allows for plenty of opportunities to ask diverse questions ranging from family background and history, to the impacts of climate change, to organic production methods! All of which give an intimate insight into the challenges facing modern day vintners in Austria.
The tour ends with a short train ride back to the city centre. You'll arrive to your hotel in plenty of time to freshen up before dinner, the opera, the theatre, or the concert. Whichever it is, you'll sleep well that night!
Duration: 4 hours
Departure Point :BahnhofCity Wien Hauptbahnhof, Am Hauptbahnhof 1, 1100 Wien, Austria
Departure Time :9:10 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- The summer hike is accessible for most people, with regular breaks built into the itinerary. However, please note that this tour is not suitable for people with mobility issues. While the majority of the winter itinerary is indoors, there is a gentle 20 minute walk through flat vineyards as we move between villages, so do dress warmly for that.
- Minimum age is 18 years old on the day of tour
- Use comfortable footwear in summer time - either trainers or sturdier hiking shoes
- To wear: Summer - shorts/light trousers, t-shirt, hat, extra layers/light rain jacket recommended for chillier conditions; Winter - check the weather forecast on the day of your tour and dress accordingly
- To bring: Summer - rucksack with drinking water, hat & sun cream, cash, fully charged camera; Winter - camera, cash & possibly an umbrella
- Go to the Venture Vienna website to read our FAQ and to learn more
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Due to the ongoing covid-19 pandemic we are only offering this as a private tour. This is to keep our numbers low and to help protect the wellbeing of our guests and tour partners.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.