Private Wine Tasting at Bucharest's First Wine Bar
Did you know that Romania is the world’s 13th largest wine producer with over 2000 years of viticulture tradition? Enjoy a private and informative wine tasting session at the first wine bar reopened in Bucharest after the 1989 revolution! Treat yourself with 4 different varieties of Romanian wines along with a plate of traditional cheese and dry sausages. Your private guide will help you discover the distinctive flavor of Dealu Mare’s famous vineyards and tell you about the wine making process so that you may understand the secrets behind the perfect taste. To put everything into context, the guide will also share stories about the struggles of the winemakers during the soviet occupation era, the confiscation of vineyards and how the industry managed to rejuvenate itself after the chaos of the 1989 revolution and the fall of communism!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private guide & transport
- Wine tasting: 4 wine glasses/person, traditional Romanian cheese & dry sausages
- Entry/Admission - Old Town
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Old Town, Bucharest Romania
Enjoy a private, cozy and informative wine tasting session in the first wine bar to be reopened in Bucharest after the 1989 revolution. Located inside a century old house displaying traditional Romanian architecture, the bar’s elegant interior and the wine bottles positioned like books on shelves create a perfect setting for wine tasting.
You’ll be able to taste 4 different varieties of local wines along with a plate of traditional cheese & dry sausages. Thus, whether you’re a casual wine drinker or a true connoisseur, you’ll enjoy yourself as you discover the distinctive “terroir” of Dealu Mare – a famous vineyard region where wine is nicknamed “liquid gold”. Why is this Romanian wine region so valued? Because, same as Bordeaux or Tuscany, Dealu Mare sits alongside the 45th parallel meaning it has a very hot climate until late September. The soils are mostly clay or limestone based which translates into perfect conditions for red wines.
Aside from giving details on the wine varieties, your private guide will also tell you about the industry’s turmoil during the communist period: the soviets encouraging mass production over quality, the confiscation of farmers’ lands and how Romania lost half of its vineyards immediately after the 1989 revolution. Nowadays, the country already went through a process of mass restoration and the wine industry is getting back in shape.
In conclusion, the quality of the wines combined with the knowledge of the guide & staff will help you understand why Romania is finally reclaiming its rightful position as a top wine country, currently being the world's 13th producer. In vino veritas!
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please provide pick-up address when booking the tour (if available at the time of booking).Your private guide will pick you up from your hotel reception but also from a guesthouse or apartment. Basically, we offer free pick-up & drop-off in any location in Bucharest.
Departure Time :3:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.