Royal Flying Doctor Service Tourist Facility: Two Iconic Territory Stories
Two Iconic Territory Stories in One Iconic Location
One started Territory operations in 1939, the other, occurred in 1942 as an act of aggression unparalleled on Australian soil. Both forged the resolve and resilience of the people who live in Australia's Northern Territory.
The first iconic story is the Royal Flying Doctor Service, affectionately known throughout Australia as the RFDS. Founded by the Reverend John Flynn, it began its aero medical operations in the Northern Territory in 1939.
The second iconic story featured is the Bombing of Darwin on 19th February 1942. The bombing of the harbour brought destruction to the city of Darwin, and many of the experiences and stories of what happened that day.
This facility sits on the iconic location of Stokes Hill Wharf which was bombed during the raid on 19th February 1942.
per adult from
What's included :
- The facility experiences are self-guided, we do host the first part of the visit and tailor to our demographic
What's excluded :
- DVD (available to purchase)
- Visit: RFDS Darwin Tourist Facility, 45 Stokes Hill Road Stokes Hill Wharf, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800 Australia
See, experience & learn through the wonder of technology as this facility brings history to life.
Royal Flying Doctor Service
Enjoy the heroic tales of the birth and growth of the RFDS. Learn about the history and the activities of the RFDS’s pilots, engineers, doctors and nurses, and the experiences of the patients that are carried and cared for each day.
-Life size hologram of John Flynn the Founder of the Flying Doctor Service tells his story of the birth and growth of the RFDS.
-Two Interactive story telling mini ghosts. Meet Alf Traeger and Nurse Kathy who answer selected questions from a touch panel.
-Touchscreen Portals allow the visitor to learn about the history and the activities of the RFDS pilots, engineers, doctors and nurses.
-A decommissioned RFDS Pilatus PC 12 aircraft that allows visitors inside the aircraft and experience a fully aero medically equipped fitout.
-Pedal Radio invented by Alf Traeger and used by people of the Outback.
-Story Boards that provide very informative reading of the history of the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Bombing of Darwin Harbour
Relive the drama of the Bombing of Darwin Harbour that rocked Australia in 1942. The bombing of the harbour brought destruction to the city of Darwin, and many of the experiences and stories of what happened that day are learnt through the most modern and exciting technology.
-Life size hologram of Rear Admiral Etheridge Grant was the Commanding Officer of the USS William B Preston narrates his own version of the Bombing of Darwin Harbour.
-Interactive story telling mini ghosts. Meet Prime Minister John Curtin and Japanese Pilot Hajime Toyoshima who answer selected questions from a touch panel.
-Virtual Reality of the bombing of Darwin Harbour. This production is the pinnacle of a movie production for VR. Never before seen production of this magnitude.
-Full size replica Japanese Zero aircraft hangs from the ceiling.
-Replica of Camilla the Flying Boat that escaped from Darwin Harbour and its story.
-Window of 1942 and aerial view of the Bombing of Darwin Harbour that comes to life showing the bombing and aircraft fire of the first raid.
-Story Boards that provide very informative reading and pictures of what took place on February 19th
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :RFDS Darwin Tourist Facility, 45 Stokes Hill Road Stokes Hill Wharf, Darwin, Northern Territory 0800 Australia
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- The facility is indoors and air-conditioned. There is audio translation for the hologram cinema sessions in Japanese, German, French and Simplified Chinese.
- There is complete disability access and a number of seating options throughout the facility for all guests
- The facility has a gift shop in the center of the facility and are co-branded RFDS with RM Williams in a great clothing and belt range. We also offer a wide selection of RFDS and Bombing of Darwin branded products ranging from T-shirts, hats, books and other great collectibles.
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Covid Safety Plan
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.