Salzburg Small-Group Introductory Walking Tour with Historian Guide
During this 2.5-hour introductory tour with a personable and expert local historian, you explore Salzburg's historic city center with its array of preserved Medieval and Baroque buildings, learning about the salt commerce, musical history, local culture and tragic war years of this charming town. You visit the Benedictine St. Peter′s Abbey in the oldest part of the city. Our guide also gives you a lively knowledge of Mozart's and his sister's childhood in Salzburg and the fascinating true story of Trapp family singers from the global film classic The Sound of Music, one of the authentically great refugee tales of the Second World War.
per adult from
2 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- 3-hour walk through the historical center of Salzburg
- Professional scholarly guide
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This 2.5-hour walk starts with an exploration of
Salzburg’s Burgher Town with its narrow, crooked little streets and the unique passage ways of the so-called '
Getreidegasse' Salzburg’s commercial centre still remains intact in its medieval charm contrasting the great spacious Baroque squares of the district where the Archbishops presided over the city in their Residence.
We pass by
Mozart’s Birthplace and the
Festival Halls before we reach the
monastery of the Benedictines called St. Peter – dating back to 696 AC. Along with stories of Salzburg’s medieval salt commerce and medical innovations, we follow the childhoods of Wolfgang and Nannerl Mozart as well as the life story of the great second musical son of the city, the composer, Michael Haydn.
By the end of the walk, visitors know our local customs and traditions, our cultural and political history, and our enviable musical heritage. Last but not least, you will learn the true story of the global movie classic
The Sound of Music's Trapp family, one of the authentically great refugee tales of the second world war.
Departure Point :Mozartpl. 2, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Return Detail :Salzburg, Austria
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Your tour guides are professors, doctoral students, historians, journalists, art critics, or published authors
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.