San Salvador Combo Tour: City Sightseeing and Joya de Cerén
Combine two popular tours of San Salvador and Joya de Cerén with this 4-hour San Salvador Combo. Start with a morning or afternoon sightseeing tour of El Salvador's buzzing capital, whose highlights include Masferrer Square, Salvador del Mundo Square and the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Holy Savior. Then head to the UNESCO World Heritage–listed archaeological site of Joya de Cerén, dubbed the 'Pompeii of the Americas,' where you can see ancient life preserved in a time capsule of volcanic ash.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by private vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Joya de Ceren Archaeological Park
What's excluded :
- San Salvador Tour (2 hours)Begin your morning or afternoon tour of El Salvador's bustling capital with pickup from your hotel by your private guide. Get an overview of San Salvador's history, and hear how its culture and architecture were drastically transformed in the 16th century by the Spanish conquistadors.
Walk to grand public plazas such as Salvador del Mundo Square and Masferrer Square, each with ancient colonial history. Tour the historic city center, highlighted by the National Palace and National Theater of San Salvador, one of the oldest theaters in Central America.
Continue to El Rosario Church (Iglesia El Rosario) and the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Holy Savior, a fine example of El Salvador’s architectural artistry that's regarded as the most impressive building in the city.
After your San Salvador tour, continue straight into the next portion of your combo tour with a 40-minute drive to Joya de Cerén.
Joya de Cerén Tour (2 hours)Known as the 'Pompeii of the Americas,' Joya de Cerén was once a farming community until, in the 6th century, the settlement was buried under volcanic ash from the nearby Loma Caldera volcano (just how the ancient city of Pompeii was destroyed by the eruption of Mt Vesuvius). Today it’s a UNESCO World Heritage–listed archaeological site offering a fascinating look at life before the Spanish inquisition.
Although the inhabitants had time to flee before the ash landed, you can still see remnants of ancient life frozen in time. Walk among the storehouses, homes, workshops and other buildings with your guide, and hear about the insights that Joya de Cerén has given archaeologists since its discovery in 1976.
After four hours exploring San Salvador and Joya de Cerén, travel back to your hotel to conclude your tour.
Departure Point :Departs from most San Salvador hotels
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.