Sankt Margarethen Quarry Guided Tour
St. Margarethen Quarry is one of Europe’s oldest and largest quarries. Its sandy limestone has been quarried here since antiquity and continues to be extracted today. It was used to build and restore St. Stephen’s Cathedral and also for buildings around the Ringstrasse in Vienna. Originally formed by a prehistoric inland sea, in the 20th century an abundance of important fossils were discovered in this ancient stone (some a staggering 25 million years old). In 2001 St. Margarethen Quarry and the region of Fertő-Neusiedlersee were added to the UNESCO List of World Heritage Sites.
per adult from
What's included :
- Guided Tour
- Entry/Admission - Romersteinbruch
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Romersteinbruch, St. Margarethen 7062 Austria
Today, the quarry in St Margarethen is one of the most beautiful and imposing open-air arenas in Europe.
Embedded in the landscape of the Neusiedler Lake, this region is an UNESCO World Heritage Cultural Landscape. It represents “outstanding value to humanity”, with St. Margarethen providing a fascinating insight into our geological past.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Steinbruchstraße, 7062 St. Margarethen im Burgenland, Austria
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- A paper voucher is required for this attraction/activity. You must print and bring your printed voucher with you on the day of the activity, as required by our local provider.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.