Saturdays: WWII Japanese Surrender 75th Anniversary
So often we associate these words with the ignominious surrender to the Japanese on 15 February 1942, but the surrender by the Japanese on 12 September 1945 is an equally important date in the story of WWII in Singapore.
We will briefly explore the old 1930s Army buildings at Beach Road and cross to Raffles Hotel. It was often used by the Japanese during the Occupation—when it was known as Syonan Ryokan, incorporating ‘syonan’ (“Light of the South”), the Japanese name for occupied Singapore, and ‘ryokan,’ the name for a traditional Japanese inn and was the site of an infamous incident in August 1945.
We will then walk to the far side of the Padang to see various war related memorials and look back to the old City Hall, now part of the National Gallery, where the actual surrender by the Japanese Lord Mountbatten and the other Allies took place on 12 September 1945. We will visit to actual “surrender room,” ie the City Chamber and the steps on which Mountbatten made his speech.
per adult from
What's included :
- Your tour will be escorted by a passionate Singapore WWII team guide
- Audio listen sets are used so everyone can hear their guide clearly and maintain social distance
What's excluded :
- Please note that a minimum of 2 guests is needed for the tour to operate
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Colonial District/Civic District, Colonial District/Civic District, Singapore
945 for 10am meet at Marriott hotel main entrance (nearest MRT : Esplanade)
- Beach Road army buildings
- Raffles Hotel
- Padang & City Hall
- Fort Canning
12pm End of tour at Fort Canning Hotel (nearest MRT Fort Canning)
Departure Point :30 Beach Rd, Singapore 189768
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Hotel Fort Canning, 11 Canning Walk, Singapore 178881
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.