Seven Rila lakes to Rila monastery guided Trek
This 2-Day trek will take you deep into the wilderness of the Rila Mountains where you will be amazed by the magical Seven Rila Lakes, sleep at the highest mountain hut on the Balkan peninsula - Vazov Hut (2300 m. a.s.l.) and finally after a descend filled with wonderful views of peaks, ridges and alpine forested valleys you will arrive at Rila Monastery - the largest and most significant active monastery in Bulgaria. Expect a challenging dive into the off beaten trails of Rila mountain that will reward you with natural splendor at every step.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- 1x Breakfast
- 1x Dinner
- 2x Lunch
- Accommodation included: 1 night
- Accommodation as per itinerary
- Professional UIMLA certified mountain guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Round-trip private transfer
- Food - 1 Dinner and 1 Breakfast at the Hut, 2 lunch pack meals
- Wi-Fi available
What's excluded :
- Entrance fees at the Monastery
- Food and drinks, unless specified
Day 1: From Seven Rila Lakes to Ivan Vazov hut
Stop At: Seven Rila Lakes, 2650 Sapareva Banya Rila Mountain, Sofia Bulgaria
Early Start from Sofia. You willl be picked up from your Sofia accommodation and after a 1.5 hour transfer we will arrive at Pionerska Hut trail head. From there we will take the a short chair lift ride to the Rila Lakes hut. From here we start our hike and will explore the entire lakes area and will walk through the Lower Lake, the Fish Lake, the Trefoil, the Twins, the Kidney, the Eye and the highest - the Teardrop. Then we will further ascent to Razdela pass (2600 m. a.s.l.) where we will be rewarded with amazing bird-eye views of the lakes from above. From there we descent to Ivan Vazov hut where we will stay for the night.
Duration: 5 hours
Accommodation included: Overnighr at Ivan Vazov Hut, located at 2300 m a.s.l. near Bistritsa River in Pazardere Valley, Rila Mountains.
Day 2: From Ivan Vazov Hut to Rila Monastery
Stop At: Rila Monastery, Rila 2643 Bulgaria
After breakfast we start with a gentle ascent through the beautiful Pazardere valley followed by a panoramic descend towards the monastery. On this 5-6 hour hike you will enjoy beautiful mountain panoramas and enchanting forest trails. The trail ends at the doorstep of the pictures Rila monastery where we will stop for a well deserved rest and will explore the area of the largest orthodox establishment in Bulgaria. A private transfer back to Sofia will conclude our trip.
The Rila Monastery was established in the 10th century by the first Bulgarian hermit John of Rila, declared a saint while he was still alive. Saint John of Rila lived between 876 – 946. The first monastery was several kilometres upper in the mountain, in the area where the hermit used to live and pray. It was a modest place, hosting the saint and his followers.
The construction of the present structure of the monastery started around 13 – 14 century. The oldest building that survived today is a tower inside the monastery yard, known as Hrelyo’s tower. It was named after a local ruler who was in power when the construction of the monastery started. Nowadays you can climb the tower, see the old frescoes inside it and the enjoy the view to the monastery yard and Rila mountains. The frescoes are so precious that they are protected by glass walls.
Duration: 6 hours
No accommodation included on this day.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Point: • Sofia from your accommodation.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 16
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- Equipment: hiking boots, backpack (35-45 l), trekking poles, waterproof jacket, rain cover, sun hat, sun lotion, sunglasses, warm hat and gloves, water bottle (1,5 liters), head lamp, personal first aid kit.
- itinerary may be subject to change due to weather condition
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Our tours are private! No mixed groups!
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.