Small Group Walking Tour of East Berlin with a French Guide
This tour will go beyond an standard “East/Communist Berlin Tour”. We will visit places to understand Berlin’s history as the capital of East Germany. You will visit with a French speaking Guide the Wall Memorial at the Bernauerstrasse. You will take a look to one of the former "ghost stations" and will talk about the communist architecture at the famous former Stalin Allee and go the "East Side Gallery".
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local guide
- Local taxes
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions. You will need an public transportation day card for the zones AB
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Tip for the guide (optional)
- After the defeat in WWII, Berlin was divided into 4 sectors controlled by the western allies and the soviets. But soon their coalition began to crumble when a new conflict emerged: The Cold War. Being in a front position between the two systems Berlin became one of the main scenes in this conflict of spies, deceits and clandestine agencies. The history of the second half of the 20th century will be the main issue in this walking tour.
In this tour we will talk about the daily life of divided Berlin and how east Berliners lived the existence and the fall of their country, the German Democratic Republic (GDR). We will visit the most iconic places of the former capital of the GDR: the memorial to the victims of the Berlin Wall on Bernauer Strasse. We will then hit Alexanderplatz and the Karl-Marx-Allee, the monumental Communist avenue. The journey will come to a close with the longest section of the wall still standing, between the districts of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg: the East Side Gallery, with its famous wall paintings and the Oberbaumbrücke, the most beautiful bridge in Berlin with a breathtaking view over the river Spree.
Departure Point :Potsdamer Platz 10, 10963 Berlin, Germany
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Alexanderplatz, 10178 Berlin, Germany
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.