St Thomas Trail in Chennai by Wonder tours
Listen to guided commentary as you travel detailing the influence footsteps of St. Thomas had on the city and the country of India as a whole between AD52 and AD72.Learn about the history of Christianity in Chennai through visits to local religious landmarks such as the cave in the Little Mount, the handprints of St. Thomas, St. Thomas Mount, and the St. Thome Basilica.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Pick up and drop from all hotels in Chennai
- Private transportation
- Full time Guide
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - San Thome Church
- Entry/Admission - Little Mount Shrine
- Entry/Admission - St. Thomas Mount National Shrine
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Wonder tours and travels, No 51 86th street ashok nagar chennai, Sector 10, Sector 13, K. K. Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600083, India
Santhome Basilica, Little Mount and St Thomas Mount
Stop At: San Thome Church, 38 San Thome High Road, Chennai (Madras) 600004 India
This soaring Roman Catholic cathedral, a stone's throw from the beach, was founded by the Portuguese in 1523, then rebuilt by the British in neo-Gothic style in 1896, and is said to mark the final resting place of St Thomas the Apostle. It's believed 'Doubting Thomas' brought Christianity to the subcontinent in AD 52 and was killed at St Thomas Mount, Chennai, in AD 72.
Although most of St Thomas' mortal remains now apparently lie in Italy, a cross on the tomb wall contains a tiny bone fragment marked 'Relic of St Thomas'. The museum above displays Thomas-related artefacts including the lancehead believed to have killed him.
St Thomas' Pole, at the beach end of the street on the cathedral's south side, is said to have miraculously saved the cathedral from the 2004 tsunami.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Little Mount Shrine, St. Thomas Mount, Chennai (Madras) 600015 India
Little Mount is a cave in which St.Thomas hid in AD 68 and did penance. There is an opening to the east of the cave through which St.Thomas escaped when his pursuers caught up with him here. The palm print and hand print near the tunnel’s entrance are believed to be those of St.Thomas himself. We will also see the masonry cross cut at the top of the hill which is believed to be the cross before which St.Thomas prayed. Another interesting aspect of this cave is the spring inside the hill which is perennial and is supposed to be the miraculous creation of the St. Thomas himself.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: St. Thomas Mount National Shrine, Parangi Malai St Thomas Mt Chennai, Chennai (Madras) India
The reputed site of St Thomas’ martyrdom in AD 72 rises in the southwest of Chennai, 2.5km north of St Thomas Mount train station and metro station. The Church of Our Lady of Expectation, built atop the 'mount' by the Portuguese in 1523, contains what are supposedly a fragment of Thomas’ finger bone and the 'Bleeding Cross' he carved. The city and airport views are wonderful.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.