Taste of Tasmania, Original
On the Australian travel scene, lil' old Tassie is a right up-and-comer. Pristine wilderness, exceptional hiking, jaw-droppingly beautiful beaches, superb dining – there's plenty to like. And this trip, starting and finishing in Hobart, does a pretty good job of seeing it all. Take in the various attractions of Hobart, enter the Gondwanan-like wilderness of Tarkine, get your hike on in Cradle Mountain and watch Little Penguins waddle ashore at Bicheno.
Why you'll love this trip
As well as visiting key attractions such as Wineglass Bay and the Bay of Fires, this pioneering trip takes you to parts of Tassie that are more off the beaten track
Your guide will provide information about the flora, fauna and landscapes of Tasmania, giving you an insight into some of the country's World Heritage listed areas
Trek along multiple walking trails through spectacular Cradle Mountain National Park
Visit stunning Maria Island, a National Park in its entirety
Tasmania is known world wide for excellent quality food and wine, wonderful landscapes and pristine wilderness.
6 days, 5 nights
- Experienced tour guide
- Travel in air-conditioned minibus
- Accommodation: Motel (5 nights)
- Activities as detailed in itinerary
- Meals as indicated: 5 breakfasts
- National park entry fees
1. This trip departs from Hobart at approximately 8am and finishes Hobart approx 6pm on day 6. Onward travel should be booked after 8pm.
2. A single supplement is available on this trip and covers all nights.
- Day 1 : Hobart - Central PlateauToday we traverse the island from east to west. Escaping Hobart through the Derwent Valley, we walk in the land of the giants and admire the beauty of Russell Falls and Mt Field National Park. Visit Lake St Clair, Australia’s deepest freshwater lake. Enter the temperate time capsule that is the Franklin- Gordon Wild Rivers National Park. Along the way we stretch the legs on some great short walks including Donaghy’s Lookout and Franklin River. Pass through Queenstown with its intriguing eroded landscape of treeless hills. Finish the day in Strahan at the very edge of the west coast. Today's driving time approx: 324 km / 5hrs. Approx hikes include 1 60 min, 2 x 45minMeals :NoneDay 2 : Tarkine RegionIn the untouched wilderness of Tasmania’s West Coast we will explore the shifting sands of Henty Dunes, visit Ocean Beach and smell the freshest air in the world. Then we continue into the Tarkine region and walk amongst its rainforest and check out a cool waterfall while we are there. We then head back to Strahan for the night. Todays driving time approx: 150 km / 2.5 hrs. Hike approx: 3 hrsMeals :BreakfastDay 3 : Cradle Mountain - LauncestonJoin a guided walk or free walk on one of the many trails around Cradle Mountain, Dove and Crater Lakes. The mountain at 1545m high, is one of the favourite features in the park and is surrounded by stands of native deciduous beech, rainforest, alpine heath lands and button grass. Icy streams cascade down the mountainsides, and ancient pines are reflected in the still glacial lakes. Later today, transfer to Launceston via Sheffield, the town of murals. Today's driving time approx: 279 km / 4 hrs. Approx hike 3 hrs.Meals :BreakfastDay 4 : BichenoDeparting Launceston, transfer east to Wukalina / Mt William National Park nestled in the remote and peaceful north-east corner of Tasmania. Mt William National Park is remarkable for its beauty, wildlife and cultural history with long stretches of dazzling white beaches at the edge of the Bay of Fires, shimmering turquoise waters, coastal heath and woodlands that abound with wildlife. We continue late in the day to Bicheno where tonight you can take a guided tour for a closer look at the life of the Little Penguins as they return nightly to their rookeries to feed their young. Today's driving time approx. 315 km / 4.5 hrs. Approx hike 1.5 hrsMeals :BreakfastDay 5 : Freycinet National ParkThis morning we arrive at Freycinet National Park. For those seeking a challenge, try the climb to the summit of Mt Amos or join the walk to Wineglass Bay, voted one of the world’s top 10 beaches There are other free walking choices and a visit to Cape Tourville. Then we head back to Bicheno for the night. Today's driving time approx. 80 km / 1.5 hrs. Approx. hike 3 hrs.Meals :BreakfastDay 6 : Maria IslandThis morning we catch the ferry to Maria Island, a national park in its entirety. This is a special place with something for everyone – historic ruins, sweeping bays, rugged cliffs and mountains and remarkable wildlife. It’s free from cars and its only residents the animals, including large numbers of Cape Barren Geese and Forester Kangaroos. Explore the fascinating features such as the Painted Cliffs, the millions of years old Fossil Rocks, and the old township of Darlington and its mixed history. We return to Triabunna and transfer to Hobart via the historic town of Richmond. Today's driving time approx. 182 km / 2.5 hrs. Approx. hike 2-4 hrs. Included ActivitiesMeals :Breakfast
Departure location : Select Hobart accommodation from 08.00am.
Default pick up: Hobart Central YHA (formerly Montgomery’s YHA), 08:00am
Selected Wednesday and Saturdays October to April
Arrival location : Hobart accommodation early evening day 6.
Money for meals not included.