Tastes of Thessaloniki: Small Group Food Tour
Ignite your senses on a 3.5-hour food tour of Thessaloniki, exploring colorful markets, seeing fresh seafood, sampling Greek meze and more! With a local guide, visit the vibrant food markets of Modiano and Kapani to sample local bread, and then relax in a traditional Greek tavern to feast on a meze platter (selection of dishes) washed down with ouzo or ‘tsipouro’ – two much-loved Greek liquors. Further samples include a melt-in-the-mouth syrupy sweet at one of the city’s old candy shops.
Numbers are limited to 12 people on this small-group tour, ensuring personalized attention from a guide.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
What's included :
- Local English-speaking escort
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Local snack - Bougatsa
- Ouzo & meze, olives, cheese, sweet treats
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Head to Aristotelous Square in central Thessaloniki to meet your guide and start your food tour of the city. Kick-start your morning with a cup of strong Greek coffee to get your energy levels up, and then continue into Thessaloniki’s bustling commercial district to learn about Greek gastronomy.
A Mediterranean cuisine, Greek food is typically high in nutrients and low in animal fats, and dishes are cooked according to time-tested recipes that have been passed down over generations. With incredible islands and large expanses of coastal land, Greece is known for its incredible seafood and Thessaloniki – as an ancient port town – is one of the best places for it.
Wander through the food markets of Modiano and nearby Kapani to see crates of freshly caught fish loaded onto heaving stalls alongside tempting barrels of juicy plump olives. Try koulouri, a round roll of bread topped with sesame seeds, and compare the flavors with bougatsa, a similar roll that can be filled with almost anything, although spinach, cheese and mince are the usual fillers.
After soaking up the atmosphere of the markets and discovering the best stalls and traditional ingredients, continue to Athonos Square. Home to a cluster of charming old-world ouzeria (taverns), the square is one of the best places in the city to feast on a platter of meze alongside a shot of ouzo or tsipouro.
The adventure isn’t complete without a visit to one of Thessaloniki’s old candy shops, so head inside one to sample siropiasta, a syrupy sweet treat that was introduced to Greece in the 1920s. Your tour then finishes inside the shop.
Departure Point :Hotel Kinissi Palace, Egnatia 41, Thessaloniki 546 30, Greece
Departure Time :9:30 AM
Return Detail :Tsimiski, Thessaloniki, Greece
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 6 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- On this tour you will visit 100% local, family-owned businesses and meet a local greengrocer, cheesemonger, butcher, and fishmonger who sell their own and Greek-only products. Supporting small-scale, locally-run businesses helps to preserve the traditional character of old Thessaloniki.
- By joining this tour you are supporting a 100-year-old local pastry shop started by refugees so it can continue thriving and serving authentic local delicacies.
- As part of your tour you'll visit a local ouzeri that serves meze locally sourced from villages, farmers, and stock-breeders of northern Greece.
- At least one store on your itinerary is dedicated to the preservation of locally-produced crafts.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.