The Albayzín and the Sacromonte: a thousand years of history
During our walk, we will discover in depth the historical neighborhoods of Albaicín and Sacromonte, accompanied by an official heritage expert guide.
This very comprehensive visit is especially intended for curious and demanding travelers, who want to understand and feel the history and soul of two neighborhoods with exceptional personality. This is a cultural tour that does not appear in the guides.
We will start with the Albaicin below where the Carrera del Darro, so often described as one of the most beautiful streets in the world, shows us facades of stately houses, convents and churches, as well as its old stone bridges and an Arab bath. From there, we will go up to Sacromonte, the traditionally gypsy neighborhood of Granada. Its winding and silent sidewalks reveal the whitewashed caves, the flamenco zambras and charming views of the lush valley, so purposely called Valparaíso. Then, the upper part of the Albaicín with its alleys and its romantic carmenes.
What's included :
- Official heritage expert guide.
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Carrera del Darro, Granada Spain
Albayzín bajo: we start the visit walking along the Rio Darro along the Carrera del Darro, considered by far one of the most beautiful streets in the world.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Cuesta del Chapiz, 18010 Granada, Spain
We continue our visit by relaxing up towards the middle of the Albayzín neighborhood, reaching the entrance to the flamenco neighborhood of Sacromonte, which we will access by walking along its sidewalks and passing by its cave houses and flamenco zambras
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Calle Pagés, 18010 Granada, Spain
Going down from the Sacromonte we reach the upper part of Albayzín, with its network of cobblestone alleys, churches that were once mosques, centuries-old cisterns and bustling markets where you can taste traditional Andalusian sweets whose recipes have been passed down from generation to generation until today.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Plaza de San Nicolas, Granada Spain
Located in the heart of the Albaicín, next to what was one of the old mosques in the Muslim city, it is the most emblematic viewpoint in Granada. Romantic corner par excellence, from which a complete panoramic view of the Alhambra, Sierra Nevada, the city and the Vega de Granada is contemplated. And, according to former United States President Bill Clinton, "the most beautiful sunset in the world."
It is always lively, with outsiders and locals. Artisan sellers and groups abound that improvise flamenco touches with their guitars.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Iglesia de San Miguel Bajo, Placeta de San Miguel Bajo, 7, 18010 Granada Spain
One of the liveliest and most colorful places in the albayzín, very popular for its tapas bars. Before reaching the square we pass by the Convent of Santa Isabel la Real, a magnificent example of Elizabethan Gothic architecture.
The square is presided over by the 16th century Mudejar-style Renaissance Church built on top of an old mosque. Next to the side door is a thirteenth century cistern with a capacity of approximately 90 cubic meters.
Duration: 25 minutes
Stop At: Cuesta de San Gregorio, 18010 Granada, Spain
Walking the San Gregorio hill is like walking through the history of a city with wars, miscegenation, music and multiple creeds.
It is one of the gates of Bajo Albaicín and can be reached by crossing the streets of Calderería Nueva and Vieja, famous for being a small Arab souk with dozens of tea shops and souvenir shops. Once up, the Plaza de San Gregorio is guarded by a cistern with fresh water that will delight any walker
Duration: 20 minutes
Departure Point :Plaza de Santa Ana, Plaza de Sta. Ana, Granada, Spain
Departure Time :9:45 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 12 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour is not suitable for people who are convalescing or who are not in good physical shape, as there are some steep slopes, as well as fascinating
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.