The Bhubaneswar Experience
Take this opportunity to explore Bhubaneswar, the religious and economical centre of Eastern India where many ancient stories have their origin. Known to be the location of many hundreds of temples it is often called "Ekamra Kshetra", the Temple City.
You will get the chance to explore the city and its impressive structures for a half day and visit places such as the Lingaraja Temple, the Mukteshwar Temple, the Parsurama Temple, the Rajarani Temple, and the ancient cave of Khandgiri and Udaygiri which was carved by Jain monks more than two thousand years ago. Lastly, you will visit the Museum of Tribal Arts and Artifacts to get a the chance to view all the ancient artificats which are important to not only Bhubaneswar's history, but also India's history.
per adult from
4 to 6 hours
What's included :
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Fuel surcharge
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off in AC car
- Private tour
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- You will be picked up by your guide and separate driver at your local hotel in Bhubaneswar in the morning around 09:00. You will be taken by a private, air-conditioned vehicle to the first destination which is the Lingaraja Temple. The temple is one of the most sacred and religious sites in India and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is one of the oldest temples in Bhubaneswar. Non-Hindus are not allowed to enter the temple so you will be allowed to admire the temple's impressive structure from the outside, which is almost fully viewable. This temple is also the biggest temple in Bhubaneswar and its structure is so ancient that a lot of myths and legends are shared by the locals about its conception.
After viewing the famous Lingaraja Temple, you will continue with your guide and driver to your next stop, the Mukteshwar Temple. Located at a hilltop, this temple was built in the 10th Century and is another temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The unique structure offers a mix between modern and ancient. At this temple you will see the extraordinary carvings with intricate details, stunning interior, and impressive structural design.
The next place to visit is the ancient Parsurama Temple, believed to have been built during the 12th and 13th century. This temple is the only temple in Kerala dedicated to Lord Parusarama. Lord Parusama was the sixth incarnation of Lord Vishnu and known in the ancient scripts as a warrior. The temple is an important location for many people to come and worship their ancestors and offer prayers.
After visiting the Parsurama Temple you will continue to the Rajarani Temple. This temple is believed to have been constructed between the 11th to 12th century and has many similar details to the famous Khajuraho Temples, due to its intricate details of erotic carvings. The name of the temple originates from the local sandstone which was used to build the temple. Inside the temple are many beautiful sculptures depicting different ancient legends such as guards, Varuna, and scenes from Shiva's marriage.
After visiting the temples, you will be taken to the hills on the edges of the city to see Khandagiri and Udaygiri caves. These famous caves were carved by Jain monks during 2nd century BCE. There are more than 30 caves on this location with all unique details of sculptures and myths. One of the caves, the Snake Cave, got its name from the two serpents clinging to the arch of the entrance of this cave. Inside the cave are carvings telling the story of a boy chasing wild animals.
The last stop of the trip is at the Museum of Tribal Arts and Artifacts which offers an unique experience to get to know the Orissan tribal culture. The museum is showcasing the ancient tribal clothing, artifacts, jewelry, hunting weapons, and many other things. This will be a delightful visit to finish off the tour. After the museum visit you will return to your hotel and conclude the tour.
Departure Point :Your local hotel in Bhubaneswar
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Your local hotel in Bhubaneswar
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress code is smart casual
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Travel India Professionals