The BIG 3 - Starting Launceston
See the BIG 3 highlights of Tasmania in just 3 days!
During 3 action packed days, our BIG 3 Tasmania tour explores some of our Island’s most scenic and world-renowned locations. Start your journey with a huge day of out at Cradle Mountain World Heritage area, an area of immense grandeur with amazing walks and scenery. Travel onwards to Hobart via Wineglass Bay lookout for some of the world’s best coastal scenery. Keep your eyes open and your footsteps light to encounter our local animals in the wild. Lastly, walk amongst the history at the world heritage Port Arthur Historic Site and enjoy the action of a Tasmanian Devil feeding. Visit local historic towns, taste delicious local products and enjoy some fascinating stories along the way. Enjoy the diverse scenery, abundant wildlife and huge ACTIVE and fun days exploring the BIG 3 Tasmania with our amazing guides.
Day 1: Cradle Mountain World Heritage Area
Departs Launceston 7.30am, Returns Launceston 6.30 - 7.00pm
(Overnight Launceston: accommodation by own arrangement)
Day 1: Highlights
- Explore Cradle Mountain National Park & World Heritage Area (4-5 hours)
- Stand on the shore of the spectacular setting of Dove Lake
- Enjoy some short introductory walks and interpretation to the area
- Walk along the “Rainforest City” & “Pencil Pine Falls” tracks
- Take on the Dove Lake circuit walk (easy grade 2-3 hours)
- Or, take on the harder walk to the lofty views of Marion’s Lookout (medium grade 2-3 hours)
- Explore the historic Weindorfers Chalet
- Walk amongst the ancient King Billy Pines on Weindorfers Forest Walk
- Visit Sheffield the ‘Town of Murals’ with over 30 murals painted across the town showing the history of the area.
Day 2: Launceston to Hobart via Wineglass Bay & Freycinet National Park
Departs Launceston 7.30am, Returns Hobart 6.30 - 7.00pm (bring your bags today!)
Overnight: Hobart (accommodation by own arrangement)
Day 2: Highlights
- Explore Freycinet National Park (4+ hours)
- Walk to the spectacular Wineglass Bay Lookout (moderate uphill walk 45 mins)
- Choose the option to extend your walk to the white sands of Wineglass Bay (longer walking option 2.5 hours)
- Visit the highlights of Freycinet National Park - Honeymoon Bay & Sleepy Bay
- Take in the spectacular 360 degree views on the Cape Tourville Lighthouse Walk (easy 20 mins)
- Enjoy some fresh oysters at Freycinet Marine Farm
- Visit the historic town of Campbell Town and the Convict Brick Trail
- Treat yourself to the delights at Kate’s Berry Farm before returning to Hobart!
Day 3: Port Arthur & Tasmanian Devils
Departs Hobart at 7.30am, Returns Hobart 6.00pm
Finishes in Hobart (drop off back to your hotel)
** Airport Drop off available (around 5.30pm) by arrangement (small luggage requirements)
Day 3: Highlights
- Visit Port Arthur Historic Site (2.5 hours)
- Explore the Tasmanian Devil Unzoo
- Experience the ferocious action of a Tasmanian Devil feeding!
- Photograph spectacular views from the Waterfall Bay Cliff Top Walk (easy grade, 2km)
- See the Tasman National Park highlights – Devils Kitchen & Tasman Arch
- Enjoy the stories from Pirates Bay Lookout, Eaglehawk Neck & The “Dogline”
- Sample the local chocolates made at Federation Chocolate Factory
- Visit historic Richmond Village
- Enjoy the spectacular view at a local Hobart City lookout
- National Park entrance fees
- Wildlife park entrance fees
- Professional guides & interpretative walks
- Small, friendly groups
- Central Hotel/Hostel pick up and drop off
- Airport drop off available with prior arrangement with our office
We recommend arriving the night before you wish to begin your Big 3 tour as the Day 1 tour departs Launceston at 7.30am. On day 2 you will move between Launceston and Hobart this is the day you need to bring your luggage with you. On Day 3 we finish in Hobart around 6.00pm. Most people choose to spend this night in Hobart and then continue with their onwards travels the next day. However, we do offer a free airport drop off on Day 3 if this has been arranged prior with Tours Tasmania reservation staff.
Meals are not provided, however, there are plenty of opportunities to stop for lunch and snacks on each tour to suit your taste and budget.
Accommodation is not included, however, we will pick up and drop off each day to your Hobart and Launceston central city Hotel or Hostel each day. We do not pick up from Air BnB’s. If carrying your luggage is an issue please ensure you are at a hotel that is included in our door to door pick up schedule.
- Day 1 : Cradle Mountain World Heritage AreaCradle Mountain National Park is an area of iconic scenery with a huge variety of walking trails to choose from in this stunning world heritage listed area. With around 5 hours to spend in the National Park we leave our walking itinerary flexible to suit our guests and the weather conditions on the day. After departing Launceston we enjoy a short stop in Sheffield – The Town of Murals. Sheffield is a small and quirky village where the history of the Cradle Mountain region is depicted in artworks across the buildings throughout the town, this includes the opportunity to see the famous Eason’s Mural. We continue our journey into the mountains and arrive at Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake with around 5 hours of possible walking time before us. We begin with a series of short walks to Rainforest City and Pencil Pine Falls. From here we can choose from the gentle and iconic Dove Lake Circuit an easy 2 hour walk with amazing mountain views. For the more active, we offer the chance to climb to the loftier heights of Marion’s Lookout. This walk is well rewarded with amazing 360 degree views of the surrounding World Heritage wilderness area. Enjoy lunch by a quiet stream, watch the famous and friendly Cradle wombats in their natural habitat, or enjoy the many photographic opportunities that abound. Learn some of the local history as we visit Weindorfer’s Chalet and see the ancient King Billy Pines on Weindorfer’s Forest Walk. Cradle Mountain is the backdrop for a truly memorable and not to be missed Tasmanian experience. On our return to Launceston, we stop and sample some local tasty products at the award winning Ashgrove Cheese Factory. We return to Launceston around 6.30 – 7.00pm after a huge yet unforgettable Cradle Mountain day.Meals :NoneDay 2 : Wineglass Bay & Freycinet National ParkWineglass Bay has been voted many times among the top beaches of the world. Pink granite mountains form the backdrop for secluded bays, pristine waters, white sandy beaches, local wildlife and walking trails. Our drive this morning takes us through the well-preserved Georgian townships of Evandale and Campbell Town. We make a short stop in Campbell Town where you can collect some lunch to take along for the day ahead. You will have time to discover the Convict Brick Trail that extends through the town, visit the Red Bridge, and check out the tree sculptures depicting the history of the town. After a brief stop in Campbell Town we travel to the East Coast, where we catch an amazing view of the area at the Great Oyster Bay Lookout and an opportunity to purchase some fresh oysters plucked from the beautiful surrounding waters. On arrival at Freycinet, we walk as a group to the Wineglass Bay Lookout where your guide will help you take those sought-after photographs. From the Lookout, you have the option to return to the start of the walk with our tour guide, or for the keen walkers you can choose to spend the rest of your time completing the walk down to Wineglass beach (2.5-hours return). If you choose to travel with our guide, we will explore more of the National Park and visit Honeymoon Bay, Sleepy Bay and Cape Tourville lookout and Great Short Walk. After 4 to 5-hours at Freycinet National Park you will then continue your journey onto Hobart enjoying a stop at Kate’s Berry Farm along the way.Meals :NoneDay 3 : Port Arthur & Tassie DevilsWe take an early start from Hobart and head to the stunning Tasman Peninsula, home to Australia’s highest sea cliffs. Enjoy the panoramic views of the area from Pirates Bay Lookout, and along the short but spectacular Waterfall Bay Clifftop Track. This is one of Tasmania’s “Great Short Walks”, around 45 minutes, concluding at the remarkable rock formations of Tasman Arch and Devil’s Kitchen. Next stop is the Tasmanian Devil Unzoo. We arrive here for the action of a Tasmanian Devil Feeding. Watch the snarling, fighting and bone crushing in a spectacle of devilish behaviour during the feeding. Hand feed the wallabies and walk amongst the local fauna and flora in the charming “Unzoo” setting. Just a short drive down the road, we enter the Port Arthur Historic Site. Here you have around 2.5 hours to explore the site. Your entry includes a complimentary Harbour Cruise around the Isle of the Dead and a guided walking tour with Port Arthur’s expert guides. Discover the grim and violent history of the early Australian Penal system and get a sense of the isolation experienced by the convicts in this “inescapable prison”. On our return to Hobart, we make a stop at Federation Chocolate with a variety of chocolate flavours to sample. Further along we arrive in the late afternoon into historic Richmond Village. Meander the streets, stop for a coffee and walk across Australia’s oldest bridge still in use – a convict built sand-stone bridge, reported to be haunted! Last but not least, before we re-enter Hobart we stop for a fabulous view across Hobart from a local lookout. A picturesque way to return to the city. We drop you back to your Hobart CBD accommodation around 6.00pm.Meals :None
Day 1: Departs Launceston 7.30am, Returns Launceston around 6.00pm (overnight Launceston accommodation by own arrangement)
Day 2: Departs Launceston at 7.30am, returns to Hobart around 7.00pm (overnight Hobart accommodation by own arrangement) **Bring luggage onboard today**
Day 3: Departs Hobart at 7.30am, returns to Hobart around 7.00pm
Each tour day, pick up commences from 7.00am from select central Launceston and Hobart - Hotels/Backpackers. Please ensure this is all arranged in advance so pick up times can be confirmed at the time of booking.
Seasonal departures as follows:
Departs: Monday, Wednesday and Friday (1 Nov - 30 April)
Departs: Wednesday and Friday (1 May - 30 Oct)
There are no additional charges.
Please note Accomodation and meals/snacks are not included but we do offer a stop along the wayin a regional town to purchase a bakery style take away lunch.