The Ghosts of Piracy Past - Tropical Treasure Hunt
Experience our new spooky nighttime treasure hunt for a frighteningly fun evening! Use our lanterns and other tools to search for buried treasure while encountering a ghost of piracy past. We have partnered with Virgin Islands Eco Tours to provide your crew kayaks and a guide to explore the eerie St. Thomas mangroves to find clues during the adventure. Also take in the scenic sunset while experiencing a significant historical monument in Bluebeards Castle and the historical artifacts on display.
Imagine the best of an escape room (solving clues as a group) but rather be stuck in one room, the island becomes your boundaries on a 4 to 5 hour adventure! This experience is 18 and up due to the spooky nature of the experience. No refunds will be given due to “scare factor” or the intensity of the attraction.
Private groups only with at least 6 people to reserve the experience for your party. For smaller private groups please check out our other popular treasure hunts.
per adult from
4 to 5 hours
What's included :
- Alcoholic Beverages - Enjoy one locally brewed craft beer or equal value drink.
- Bottled water
- Use our Tropical Treasure Hunt adventure pack which includes tools to assist with solving clues during the adventure.
- Tropical Treasure Hunt Map. Clients have the opportunity to take home our trademark map for memories
- Snacks - Clients will enjoy an appetizer at the end of the experience. Snacks such as fruit snacks and oatmeal bars are included. Please eat dinner ahead of time.
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Pirate gear including hats and eye patches to get in the spirit are included.
- Entry/Admission - Virgin Islands Ecotours
- Entry/Admission - Bluebeard's Tower
What's excluded :
- Dinner - Dinner is not included with the experience.
- Use of Snorkelling equipment
- Bug spray. On the mangroves there can be mosquitoes and other insects. Please plan accordingly.
- A treasure (gift) is not included at the conclusion. For private groups clients can purchase a gift.
- Towels will not be provided. You will get wet on the kayak excursion and will need a towel.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Virgin Islands Ecotours, 6526 Estate Nadir, St Thomas Mangrove Lagoon and, St John - Honeymoon Beach at Caneel Bay, St. John, Virgin Islands 00801, USVI
Clients will enjoy a night tandem kayak tour with a Eco Tours guide in the spooky St. Thomas mangroves. Visit it a small island to collect the next clue. Be careful, a ghost of piracy past may be lurking in the darkness.
We can't provide all of the locations you will visit since part of the adventure is figuring out the next location based on the riddles provided.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Bluebeard's Tower, 1331 Estate Taarneberg At Bluebeard's Castle Hotel, 00802-4700 St. Thomas
Clients will experience a historical monument in the Bluebeards Tower built in the late 1600s by the Danes as a way to protect the island from enemy countries and pirates!
The inside of the castle is now a small museum with amazing artifacts including some from the Golden Age of Piracy (approx. 1650 - 1725).
You will have an experienced guide help you understand the history of St. Thomas while taking in panoramic, incredible views from the top of the tower during sunset. You will receive your first clue in the museum along with your adventure bag with tools to solve clues throughout the night including a lantern. The clue will have you use the historical artifacts to solve the riddles that will lead you on your spooky adventure!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Havensight, Havensight, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
You will visit a bar in Havensight to collect more clues to help lead you to the Ghost of Piracy's Past cursed treasure. Enjoy an adult beverage on us
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: St. Thomas, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Clients will conclude their experience at one of the beautiful St. Thomas beaches. Hunt for the buried treasure using your provided lantern. Also the beach is the location of a popular restaurant/bar where you can enjoy another adult beverage on us
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Bluebeards Castle, Bluebeard Loop, Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas 00802, USVI
Departure Time :5:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- 18 & Up - Kayaking required
- Although you will not have to swim, you will be tandem kayaking for approximately 40 minutes round-trip.
- The Ghosts of Piracy Past is designed to be a spooky and immersive experience. It will be dark, and at one point during the experience you will be in tight quarters in a wooded outdoor area. Strobe lights and other disorienting props may be used. Live actors may spook you in various ways but will not touch your person or belongings.
- If you are afraid of heights the sky ride is 700 feet above sea level. You may sit out during that portion of the treasure hunt.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.