The Sillar Route: Why Arequipa is called the white city
If you would like to know where do they take the materials to build the nice buildings and all the Cathedral this is the place where you must go. The workers they will show you and teach you how do they do it and how do they work the "sillar".
per adult from
What's included :
- Tourist transportation
- Tourism Guide
What's excluded :
- Entrance to the quarry - 5 PEN
- Snacks, foods and drinks
- Gifts, souvenirs or personal purchases
- Entry/Admission - Canteras de Sillar
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Canteras de Sillar, Quebrada de Anashuayco, Arequipa Peru
8:00 am. Pick up from hotel or agreed meeting point.
We head towards Las Canteras de Añashuayco in the district of Cerro Colorado. There work about 500 stonemasons, including men of up to 80 years and young people who inherit the family tradition, people who day by day with their combo and chisel and supported by a rope, extract the ashlar. Nowadays, these quarries are also in a tourist circuit that shows the natural landscape and the living culture.
The process for the elaboration of the sillar is explained, the beginning of the cut of the ignimbrite or also known as "Piedra Volcánica Blanca", with the explanation of each step with a master stonemason.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Arequipa: Pick up from your respective hotel.Whenever it is within the urban helmet of the city (Center and Fenced).For places outside these limits, you must coordinate with the Operator the feasibility of your pick-up or meeting point or additional cost.
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- It is recommended to bring: Appropriate clothes for walk, mosquito repellent, sunglasses and sunscreen, water (we will make short walks) and a small backpack
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.