Two Labours of Hercules: the Stymphalian Birds and the Nemean Lion (from Athens)
Visit two magnificent locations where, according to mythology, the hero and demigod Hercules performed two of his Labours - the Stymphalian Birds at beautiful Lake Stymphalia in the rugged mountains of the Peloponnese, and the Lion at Nemea.
- Revel at the story of Hercules and the Nemean Lion at Ancient Nemea
- Visit the impressive yet serene site of Ancient Nemea and its archaeological museum
- Be impressed by beautiful Lake Stymphalia and its Environmental Museum. Let your guide inspire you to relive the legend of the Stymphalian Birds
- Sample and be inspired by the world-acclaimed local red Nemean wine and indulge in gourmet local Greek cuisine
- Enjoy the magnificent scenery of the Greek countryside on the way to and from Stymphalia and Nemea
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Air-conditioned car, luxury minibus or coach
- 3-course lunch (appetizers, main course and dessert of fruit) up to a value of EUR 18.- at a local taverna serving traditional Greek gourmet dishes
- Two glasses of Nemean wine
- Bottled water
- Archaeological site and museum tickets
- Entry/Admission - The Environment Museum of Stymphalia
- Entry/Admission - Ancient Nemea
What's excluded :
- Gratuities at the taverna and for the driver (optional)
- Beverages, refreshments and extra wine at the taverna.
- Anything not specifically mentioned under 'Inclusions'.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Corinth Canal, Isthmia, Corinth 201 00 Greece
The Corinth Canal connects the Gulf of Corinth in the west with the Saronic Gulf in the Aegean Sea in the east. It cuts through the narrow Isthmus of Corinth and separates the Peloponnese from the Greek mainland, thus effectively making the former peninsula an island. The builders dug the canal through the Isthmus at sea level; no locks are employed. It is 6.4 kilometres (4 mi) in length and only 21.4 metres (70 ft) wide at its base, making it impassable for most modern ships. It now has little economic importance.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: The Environment Museum of Stymphalia, Stymphalia Korinthias, Corinth 20016 Greece
This delightful and meticulously researched tour fuses several attractive themes into an irresistible proposition for a same-day program that gives insight to the real, yet not well-known, Greece by combining mythology, natural scenery, archaeology, local wines and traditional cuisine. The tour sets off early in the morning from Athens, so as to embrace the evocative sights, locations, aromas, sounds and flavors of the Corinthia region of northern Peloponnese via a short stop at the lovely coastal town of Loutraki. Corinthia is rich in history, magnificent relics of ages past and in legends. It is also rich in its treasures of the land through its wine and its food.
Driving past the impressive Corinth Canal (short stop for photos) and through the forested mountains of Corinthia, our next stop is at an old yet modern winery specializing in the production of organic fine wines created from varieties grown at local vineyards at an altitude between 650 and 750 meters in a small region of Corinthia noted for its own and particular microclimate. The wine tasting is harmoniously accompanied by local Corinthian appetizers.
This is followed by an illuminating visit to the fabulous museum of Stymphalia, focussing on the environment, ecosystem, society and traditions of the lake's region.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Lake Stymphalia, Stimfalia, Corinth 200 16 Greece
A delightful walk by the lake to the ruins of Ancient Stymphalos. The tour leader will describe the Stymphalian Birds labour of Hercules in its natural settings!
Lunch with traditional Greek food at a typical local taverna.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Ancient Nemea, Nemea 205 00 Greece
the tour continues through fabulous scenery to Ancient Nemea with its magnificent Temple of Zeus and its ancient stadium which is now used again every four years by hosting the revived Nemean Games, as they were performed 2,500 years ago. The guide will reveal the importance of Ancient Nemea through the visit to the extensive site as well as the museum, whilst also unraveling the legend of the First Labor of Hercules, where he overcame the fearsome Nemean Lion bare-handed.
Rich is the Nemean land in history, in magnificent relics of ages past and in legends and rich it also is with the treasures of its land – its wine and its food. How fitting therefore that the explorers of fabled Corinthia would rest and relax at a local Greek gourmet taverna, to sample the acclaimed red Nemean wine, painstakingly created from the Aghiorghitiko grape variety, accompanied by local delicacies.
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please wait in the hotel lobby 15 minutes before your scheduled pickup time. The driver will be holding a sign with your last name on it.Ports
- Piraeus port, Pireas 185 38, Greece
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant meals not included
- Children and youths must be accompanied by an adult
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Minimum drinking age is 18
- As some walking is involved at Stymphalia and Ancient Nemea, please wear comfortable shoes.
- The total tour time is approximate and might vary due to weather or traffic conditions.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.