Wells, Cheddar Cheese and Cheddar Gorge - Private Day Trip from Bath
This private day trip is a great way to experience some of the must-see attractions near Bath. After a drive through the English countryside you will have a guided walking tour around the cathedral city of Wells, England's smallest city and home to the 2nd oldest working clock in the world and Europe's oldest residential street. After lunch you will get a tasty insight into the area's most famous creation - Cheddar Cheese and witness some of the region's most spectacular scenery with a visit to Cheddar Gorge, England's largest gorge. The road through this gorge was recently awarded the title of the most scenic drive in Britain. Throughout the day you will be looked after by a local guide who was born and grew up in the West Country.
per adult from
8 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private tour with local guide
- Private transportation in air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Admission into Wells Cathedral and the Cheddar Cheese Factory
- Entry/Admission - Wells Cathedral
- Entry/Admission - The Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company
What's excluded :
- Lunch and refreshments
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Wells, Wells, Somerset, England
Your guide will collect you at 8:30am from your preferred pick-up point in Bath and drive you through the English countryside to the cathedral city of Wells, England's smallest city.
You will be taken on a private walking tour of Wells' historic centre. Some of the places visited are listed below.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Wells Market Place, Wells England
The market place is the hub of the city. If you are visiting on a Wednesday or Sunday you will be able to experience the local market that takes place here every week. Fans of the cult film "Hot Fuzz" may recognise their surroundings as the Market Place featured a number of times in this film.
Duration: 20 minutes
Stop At: Wells Cathedral Cathedral Green, Wells BA5 2UE England
You will visit the magnificent 13th Century Wells Cathedral. Its beautiful interior has a number of unique features including the world's second oldest working clock.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Vicar's Close Street, Wells BA5 2 England
The picturesque Vicar's Close in Wells is the oldest residential street in Europe.
Duration: 10 minutes
Stop At: Cheddar, Cheddar, Somerset, England
After lunch at an English pub you will be driven to Cheddar, the birth-place of the famous Cheddar cheese.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: The Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company, The Cliffs Cheddar Gorge, Cheddar BS27 3QA England
Today there is only one small cheese factory in the Cheddar area that produces traditional Cheddar cheese. You will visit this to get a great insight into how Cheddar cheese is made. If you are lucky you may even see the cheese being made whilst you are there.
At the end of the visit you will have the chance to taste different varieties of the cheese they produce, including a cheese which is matured in the local caves. Should you wish there will be an opportunity to purchase cheese as souvenirs or to enjoy on the rest of your holiday.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Cheddar Gorge, Cheddar BS27 3QE England
The spectacular Cheddar Gorge is England's largest gorge. Driving through the gorge you will have the opportunity to stop and walk up to your guide's favourite viewpoint on the gorge. You will be rewarded with fantastic panoramic views over the gorge and the surrounding area. This walk does involve a steep 15 minute ascent on an uneven path which can get muddy when there has been rain so this stop is optional as it may not be suitable for everyone.
At the end of the tour you will be driven back to Bath.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
If your Bath accommodation is not listed or you prefer to be picked up in a central location in Bath instead of a hotel please send details of the location e.g. the Bath railway station.
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A maximum of 6 people per booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Face masks are required inside the vehicle when we are driving (disposable masks will be provided if needed). Bath Insider Tours has been awarded the "We're Good to Go" certification by the National Tourism Board of England to recognise it is following government and industry COVID-19 guidelines.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.