Winter Valley and Forest Hike
This is a great option for those interested in a moderate hike in a winter setting. The tour will include either the use of micro-spikes or snowshoes depending on the trail conditions, offering a unique way of hiking during the winter in Alaska. These trails are located in a Boreal Forest, offering opportunity to see different types of lichen, trees, and wildlife. All around, great winter hike!
per adult from
What's included :
- Day packs and trekking poles available upon request. Microspikes provided for icy conditions.
- Snacks - High-calorie trail bites and smoked salmon or cheesestick.
What's excluded :
- No hotel, B&B, Air B&B, or other accommodation pickups.
- Must meet at designated meeting location or provide own transportation to trailhead.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Chugach State Park, 18620 Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK 99516, USA
Looking for a decent challenge with not much difficulty while experiencing the wonders of Alaska? This is the hike for you. Depending on trail & weather conditions, and availability, we’ll take you to one of two very special areas of the state park where flora and fauna abound. Both trails are equally spectacular in a winter setting.
Begin by enjoying a scenic drive to the trailhead while chatting about the history of the State Park. Once at our destination, we will encounter pristine glaciated waters while traversing small rolling hills. Learn about the local ecology and exotic vegetation that inhabit the area such as giant spruce trees, cow parsnip and devil’s club. At the halfway point we will enjoy some lunch featuring local Alaskan berries, fruit, smoked salmon, and a variation on a classic: a sun butter & jelly sandwich. Plus, we’ll serve hot drinks on cold days.
The area is prime for seeing moose, dall sheep, and maybe even a bear (when they are awake)! Plus, there are many species of small mammals and birds we may encounter. Speaking of moose and bear, all our guides are experienced in the back country and will educate you on animal safety before we set out. Both locations offer amazing payoffs around every corner with picturesque views, giving credence to the fact that you don’t have to stray far from Anchorage to see and feel the real Alaskan wilderness!
Experience Requirements: During the winter, we may use micro-spikes or snowshoes depending on trail conditions. No experienced required, but you should be able to walk at least 7 miles on flat pavement, or 5 miles of uneven rolling terrain over the course of roughly 4 hours. Some parts of trail are steep and hilly, placing additional stress on areas of the body not impacted by level terrain. Not recommended for those with cardiac or respiratory issues/illness. May be difficult for those with severe joint issues. If you have any dietary restrictions, please let us know and we will accommodate you with a different snack option.
Duration: 5 hours
Departure Point :737 W 5th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Participation waiver signature required prior to departure.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Hike Alaska