World Heritage Kinderdijk Windmills - Corona-proof Public Tour from Amsterdam
The ingenious system of mills and pumping stations at unesco's Kinderdijk has been keeping the soil dry here for nearly a thousand years now. Anyone interested in authenticity should visit Kinderdijk rather than any other windmill complex.
Upon arrival, set off on a private guided walking tour of the area and learn about its history. Visit two museum mills, meet the millers and learn about their trade (1.5 mi). All the other windmills are inhabited by millers and their families. Climb the steep stairs inside one of the mills and see for yourself how water and wind are paramount in the lives of millers. You can even try on a pair of wooden clogs.
Then you have some free time to explore the area on your own. With your ticket, let the skippers of Kinderdijk carry you across the glittering basin waters for 30 minutes; a guarantee for marvellous pictures.
***Winner Netherlands Prestige Awards: 'Tour Operator of the Year'***
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Comfortable transportation by air-conditioned minivan from Amsterdam Central Station
- Entry/Admission: World Heritage Kinderdijk
- Private guide
- Live guided private walking tour of Kinderdijk, incl. visit 2 windmills
- Canal cruise in Kinderdijk
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Entry/Admission - World Heritage Kinderdijk
What's excluded :
- Guide gratuity
- Food and Drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Amsterdam, Amsterdam, North Holland Province
Add hotel pick-up and drop-off in Amsterdam to your booking if central station is too far out for you.
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: Centraal Station, Stationsplein 9, 1012 AB Amsterdam The Netherlands
The tour departs from Amsterdam Central Station (or choose to include hotel pick-up in Amsterdam).
Duration: 5 minutes
Stop At: World Heritage Kinderdijk, Nederwaard 1, 2961 AS Kinderdijk The Netherlands
Upon a private guided walking tour in English of the area and learn about its (historical) importance. Walk with your guide to two museum mills, where you can meet the millers and learn about their trade. All the other windmills are still inhabited by millers and their families. Climb the steep stairs inside one of the two mills and see for yourself how water and wind are paramount in the lives of millers. Ask the millers anything you'd like to know about milling, before walking back to the visitor's center. The total walking distance is 1 - 1.5 mi.
Then your guide sets up a meeting time and point, so you also have some free time to explore the area on your own. With your ticket, let the skippers of Kinderdijk carry you across the glittering basin waters for 30 minutes; a guarantee for marvellous pictures. Then it's time for the transfer back to Amsterdam, where you are dropped off at the same place as where you started the tour.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :De Ruijterkade 10A, 1011 AA Amsterdam, Netherlands
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick up from any address in the city of Amsterdam. Ports
- River Cruise Port Amsterdam or Ocean Cruise Terminal Amsterdam
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate - total walking during the excursion is about 1 - 1.5 mi
- Your TripAdvisor confirmation is the tour confirmation. You can go to the meeting point at the booked time.
- Traveler pickup is optional (from any address in the city of Amsterdam). Pick-up (if booked) is between 9:45 - 10:30 am. The exact pick-up time is communicated before 6 pm, the day before the tour.
- Max group size is reduced to 4 travelers / two travel parties: one travel party per row in the vehicle - a travel party is a solo traveler, a couple/duo;
- Seating rows in the vehicle are separated by screens. Travelers sit by themselves or with their travel companion;
- Travelers must use the provided anti-bacterial hand gel and undergo a temperature check before boarding the vehicle;
- We sanitize our vehicles before, during and after each tour, incl. door handles, arm rests, seat belts, headrests and handles;
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Throughout the tour a 1.5 meter distance from one another is maintained. As we use a tour guide whisper system, travelers can wander off and still hear the guide clearly;
- ***Winner Netherlands Prestige Awards: 'Tour Operator of the Year'***
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- - Social distancing throughout the tour, incl in the vehicle - Unfortunately we don't have the technology for contactless gratuity but you can leave something for your guide on your seat!
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.